Monday, January 12, 2009

Meet Harry Aldrich


“I’ve got an idea…” So begins almost every conversation we’ve had with entrepreneur Harry Aldrich, our second candidate for most fascinating person in the world--who speaks English.

Harry’s always got a project, whether it’s creating a mobile knife-sharpening business called Blade Runner or having the inspired notion to shrink-wrap three planks of cedar and sell them for $12.95 as the Oregon Cedar Grill. “It’s just a plank of wood,” his critics say. To which Harry replies, “No, it’s a plank of wood with a logo.” (And, yes, you could go to the lumber yard to get three planks yourself, but you don’t.)

Harry’s traveled around the world for Converse on an international “cool hunt,” slapping athletic shoes onto cliff divers, street musicians, and a woman who normally ran barefoot around the ruins of Angkor Wat. But our favorite project of Harry’s is when he bought an abandoned town. As police chief, he would arrest speeders and take them to church, where violators would be required to listen to a sermon by the local preacher—who also happened to be Harry.

To spend an evening with Harry and his endlessly understanding wife Kim (pictured) is to be constantly stimulated and inspired, to think about what’s new, what’s next and what’s up.

Welcome Harry.

1. What motivates you to get up in the morning?
Knowing I can and will make a lasting impact on my life, and I hope someone elses. I like to think of myself as meaningful. I really am grateful, yet I push myself to 'do good'.

2. What keeps you awake at night? What obsesses you?
Not having done enough, I am basically a person driven by 'guilt'. It is a motivator and a deterrent to my Woody Allen outlook on life.

3. What do you struggle with most?
Senseless 'Mind chatter'. I try to be moving at all times so my mind can't catch up.

4. What is the most valuable less you've learned?
Stay true to yourself.

5. What is your personal philosophy or motto?
Work Hard, Play hard, Stay Hard.

Harry Aldrich, a high to highly evolved human and business person, is fortunate to be surrounded by 85 year old to 16 month year old family members and a giant cast of others who play a significant and influential role in his life. He likes to think of himself as a 'player' in his daily practice of life where he enjoys eating, exercise, work and being entertained by life. Namaste.

2 comments:

therese patrick, author said...

I admire idea people who live large, have fun, take chances and bring an energy to everything they do and everywhere they go.

Thanks for sharing the struggle with "Mind Chatter". This is a personal journey for me too. Only recently have I taken the time to pause and listen. It helps me to stay true to myself.

Enjoy the journey!

Rick Bettencourt said...

That's motivational. Thanks.