Sunday, May 31, 2009

Meet John Bennett

Giraffe Heroes Project founder Ann Medlock meets captivating people all the time; the kind who stick their necks out. With cred like that, when she named John Bennett as the most fascinating person she knows, we paid attention, even though John's a man of few words. Here's how Ann described him:

The person I came up with is on my computer screen daily and I've never laid eyes on him. John Bennett came in a new-family package when I found a long-lost son. Said son's wife is John Bennett's baby sister. I started getting such extraordinary emails from Bennett, that I had to find out who in the world he is. He's a literary giant, writer of novels, poems and "shards," editor of an avant-garde journal, a bad-ass, pedal-to-the-metal voice of truth. Everything he writes is fascinating and he's stunningly prolific, hurling his creations daily to an audience of online readers. His gravely voice is great at performing/recording his stuff--he plays a mean harmonica, and his photo is so tough, I was afraid to let him read any of my work. When he liked it, I felt like I'd been allowed into the guys-only treehouse. Bennett supports himself washing windows in Ellensburg WA. An honest man.

Welcome, John.

1. What motivates you to get up in the morning?

I've had enough sleep.

2. What keeps you awake at night?

Hot sex. Being deep into writing, playing music, brooding...I try not to obsess...

3. What do you struggle with most?

I try not to struggle...

4. What is the most valuable lesson you've learned?

It would be a contrivance to single out a single event/influence/experience...

5. What is your personal philosophy?

It used to be "What else can you show me?" I was young then. I more or less turn each moment in my hand as it arrives.

John Bennett is founder of Vagabond Press. Labeled by Booklist as King of the Mimeo Revolution he's the author of four novels, numerous short-story collections, books of poetry and Shards (a genre of his own design). "Seventy years old and just getting up a good head of steam," he earns his daily bread cleaning windows and has played harmonica with Moving Mountains, The Frantic Titanic and Sharky's Ivory Tower Trio. His web page is http://www.hcolompress.com/Books.html
 

3 comments:

Della Rae said...

Bravo! Great answers and thank you for sharing with us!

Unknown said...

HAAAWWWWWWWWTTT.

Jimmy Jet said...

Known John for 30+ years, as he survived, thrived, and all the while in E'burg blazing a world consuming path of human BEING.