Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Meet Jeff VandenHoek

As the founder of Donors Resource, a non-profit that distributes thousands of goods to worthwhile organizations, Della Rae knows a thing or two about giving. So, it caught us off-guard when she described Jeff VandenHoek this way:

Jeff is an amazing, brilliant and giving soul.

Welcome Jeff.

1. What motivates you to get up in the morning?

The fact that I have a new day to live, breathe, love, learn and serve is motivation enough to get out of bed. It does require an alarm clock some mornings as I enjoy sleeping as well. Having a job that I enjoy where I can give back to my world and invest in our future is also a compelling reason to wake to a new day. Each day is an adventure and I remain always ready to be surprised!

2. What keeps you awake at night? What obsesses you?

The only things that keep me awake late at night are a really good concert, a really good conversation (family, friends or growing friendships) or a night under the stars in the beautiful outdoors....mesmerized by creation and my Creator.

I'm obsessed by good music, creative thought and thinkers, and my wife and kids who love me regardless of my foibles.

3. What do you struggle with most?

Drinking too much coffee...reading too many books at the same time...staying focused, and being present at all times.

4. What is the most valuable lesson you've learned?

To speak only when necessary and only if I can improve on the silence.

To never underestimate my human potential for moral depravity and to pursue the various options that exist in such instances.


5. What is your personal philosophy or motto?

To WALK. To DO. To LOVE. To LOVE mercy. To DO justly. To WALK humbly.


Jeff VandenHoek joined the George Fox University’s School of Management in January 2007 as an assistant professor of business and director of the Full-Time MBA program. Prior to this he was the Program Director at Tilikum where he directed summer camp programs for 3,000 kids each summer and managed a challenge/rope course. As director and assistant professor for the School of Management, he teaches and facilitates the Community Consulting and Learning course that partners all MBA students with Not For Profit organizations for a 7-12 month experiential learning project. Jeff also provides leadership for various team learning exercises including the orientation program that invests a full day of experiential team (cohort) learning in an outdoor challenge course environment. Jeff has spent the last 11 years directly involved in this type of experiential learning. Most recently, he traveled to India to participate in three two-day Train the Trainer sessions, teaching about team learning, transformational leadership and experiential teaching.

No comments: